Being the arrogant lummox that I am, I've taken it upon myself to make a list of ten New Year's resolutions for everyone to follow.
- Be a better parent. Make time to spend with children (even if you have no children of your own).
- Be a better spouse. Are you the partner you promised you would be?
- Be a better friend. Your life isn't all about you. Reach out to others.
- Be a better citizen. Educate yourself about what's going on in your city, in your nation, and in the world. Ask questions. Respect those who disagree with you.
- Take care of your health. Prepare healthy meals, get some exercise, take your prescribed medications, get a physical exam and vaccinations.
- Put more into your work, but don't let your work take anything out of you.
- Correspond with people. This doesn't mean forwarding e-mail jokes, posting your status on a web page, or ranting about what some politician has done. You need to write about meaningful things, and carefully read what others have written.
- Examine your beliefs. How did you get them? What are they based on? Do they still make sense to you? Can you imagine what it would be like to hold different beliefs? Talk to someone who does have different beliefs.
- Get rid of what you don't need, literally and metaphorically.
- Relax more. You really do have the time.
Now you'll have an answer when annoying people ask you what your resolutions are.